Ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage.


Monday, November 24, 2014

11th Hour Elk Hunter Uncovers RMEF Logo, Bags First Elk

Superstition +  RMEF = elk hunting success 
"No matter how cold it is outside, some things should never be covered up!" That’s the moral of the elk hunting story for a long-time member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.

Sixty-two year old Paul Boutiette always hoped for an elk. He wanted the meat for his freezer. He wanted the mount for his wall. He ended up getting both! How he got there included planning, traveling, hard work, some one-man-band ingenuity and a little superstition.

Boutiette traveled approximately 3,000 miles from his home in Massachusetts to hunt elk in Montana. He spent the greater part of a month in Big Sky Country trying to fulfill his quest by filling his elk tag. His timing wasn’t perfect, at least not according to what Old Man Winter delivered. A mid-November Arctic blast sent temperatures plummeting well below zero. 

“The 20 degrees below ice fog put a frost on the rear window of my Trailblazer. I knew no one would believe me as to how cold it was when I went in so I took a cell phone picture of the temperature shown in the truck dashboard,” said Boutiette. “I noticed my weather-worn RMEF logo decal was covered in frost and thought that I should wipe it off for good luck.” 

With the necessities out of the way, Boutiette headed out to hunt. As mid-morning to early-afternoon temperatures soared to a balmy 3 degrees, his success soared as well. Thanks to a 275-yard shot from his .300 Winchester Magnum, Paul had his first elk on the ground. 

“Got him out in one piece from 1/2-mile in, alone, with block and tackle, iron pin and 3 lbs. sledge hammer for uphill. And strap-on poly slide for downhill the next day. But surprisingly I had him out to the truck by 12:45 p.m. and on the game carrier and headed out by 1:30 p.m.,” he added.

Mission accomplished! And just in time too.

“This was the last day of my hunt then I was to pack up and head home,” said Boutiette. “What a way to slide in to home plate!”

Who can argue with that? Then again, maybe the Elk Foundation can take a tiny bit of the credit thanks to Paul’s insight to scrape the ice off his RMEF logo.

“I guess it paid off. I got my first ivories!”

Again, what’s the moral of the story? 

"No matter how cold it is outside, some things should never be covered up!"

We couldn’t agree any more Paul. Congratulations!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Hard work and patience = success!!

    ReplyDelete