Ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage.


Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Brothers Put Down Their Rifles, Help Free Tangled Elk

This is the true tale of two brothers who worked together to rescue an elk tangled in a barb wire fence. Below is a first-hand account from Jordan Say.

“So I was helping my brother out trying to get him an elk up in Starkey, Oregon. And when I started to approach a road I noticed there was something in the fence that didn't look right because where we hunt is private land and this definitely wasn't something I've seen before there. I threw up my binoculars and sure enough it was an elk’s belly, so I walked up to it cautiously trying not to disturb it because I could tell it was wrapped up in the fence pretty good. I tried getting it out by myself but there was no way one person could do it. The top barb wire was crossed with the bottom wire so I needed some help. 

“I met up with my brother Jerin and we got some tools that we had brought and we pried the clips off of the fence posts and got the calf untangled. She had been there for a while. She was shaking and was looking at me like she was thankful for the help. When we got her out of the fence she laid there for a good five minutes confused and not knowing what to do. We finally poked her with a stick just trying to get her going to see if she could stand. She got up kind of looked at us and ran off with no problems.

“It was the neatest thing I've ever seen! And just last year literally 50 yards from the one we saved this year we saved another calf that was tangled up in the fence. It was just being at the right place at the right time two years in a row. 

“I'm all about fair chase but when you see a helpless animal, you have to put the hunt aside. All I could think about is helping that calf and making sure she had a chance to live.”

Jordan Say
Bend, Oregon


Thank you Jordan and Jerin for demonstrating fine hunting ethics and for making a difference in elk country.

1 comment:

  1. THAT is true Sportsmanship, with a healthy dose of Empathy. Hoping your example hits home with others!

    ReplyDelete