Ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage.


Thursday, September 10, 2015

From Struggling Preemie to Future Elk Hunter

Below is a letter we received from Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation member Bo Dailey.

Wilson's first Bugle magazine
Hi, first off I want to say I love your organization and your publication! I live in Polson, Montana, so elk, hunting and the outdoors are a huge part of my life. 

This picture is of our son Wilson while he was in his incubator in the NICU at Benefis in Great Falls. Wilson was born 15 weeks premature or over two and a half months early at just 25 weeks. He was touch-and-go for a long time and there where multiple times we thought he might not make it, but thankfully he did and spent the first three months of his life in the hospital. 

One day one of the nurses told us that it is good for preemie babies to look at pictures and books and such. So me, dreaming of the day I could take Wilson to the woods chasing elk, figured why not get him started right away with his first lesson with my favorite magazine, Bugle, so he was ready when we hit the woods. As you can see in the picture he seems very interested and studying the elk and seemed to really enjoy it! 

Wilson is now two and a half years old and doing great and I plan on taking him to the woods with me this fall on his first elk hunt and can't wait for the day he gets to hunt with me with his own elk tag in hand. 

You don't have to use this pic for anything if you don't want but I just wanted to share it with you because it always makes me smile that Wilson's first reading material was a Bugle!

Thanks!
Bo Dailey

Thanks for the letter Bo and best of luck in the field to both you and Wilson.

No comments:

Post a Comment